WELCOME

Welcome to FOOD LIFE, where food intersects life. Feel free to write comments, ask questions, or share your stories. It's all
good!

Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Healthy Wraps for the AIDS Walk for Life






Last Sunday, I did the Scotiabank AIDS Walk for Life in Toronto with a group of friends and colleagues. We had put together a team and named it after my beagle-Boston terrier mix puppy – Team ALFIE. We had registered our team 3 months prior to the walk, and the weeks leading up to the event were spent recruiting walkers for our team, creating a team poster, soliciting sponsors and asking for pledges on-line, which I thought was a fantastic idea; people from as far away as Japan donated money to our team. I am proud to say that Team ALFIE raised $1,500.


The walk started at 2 p.m., and our group gathered at the corner of Church and Wellesley at 12 p.m. for a meet and greet. From there we made our way to the registration area to drop off our pledges. An official team photo was taken and Alfie had his own “meet-and-sniff” with other dogs. At the main stage a pep talk from a line up of speakers including former Ontario premier Bob Rae and energy and infrastracture minister George Smitherman was somewhat inspiring. This Hour Has 22 Minutes’ Gavin Crawford stirred up the crowd and a fitness instructor from Epic fitness warmed up the walkers. There was a countdown, then we were off!

Knowing that there was going to be a lot of waiting and standing around, I had decided to make a healthy snack for our team. Hey, as team captain, I wanted to make sure that our members were well taken care of lest they faint and not make it to the finish line. Okay, so it’s only 5 k, but except for two of our walkers, all of us were first timers. So the night before I made whole wheat wraps with 3 kinds of filling − tuna salad, eggs salad and cold cut chicken. I made sure I filled them with lots of veggies – chopped romaine lettuce, julienne carrots and red peppers, and diced tomatoes. I also happened to have leftover hummus so I used it to spread on the tortilla. The wraps were great because I was able to fit 15 in my collapsible cooler. I carried it around without a problem, handing one out to whoever got hungry.



2 comments:

  1. Your wraps are perfect as any "on the go" snack/meal. I used them on my last flight with Westjet. Who knows what chemicals/preservatives are in their on board flights meals, that cost 5$ for a tiny sandwich you don't know if you'll enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh~ Ramil, Rona, and Alisa(is that right your names? ha ha ha, I'm sorry if not ;ㅁ;) my miss faces, you(everyone) look very good. and I've been still very busy. ^^;; I'm so sorry couldn't support it.
    These days are beautiful fall days, isn't it?
    I hope you enjoy autom. Take care and see you.

    * Your blog is great!!!! ho ho

    from. Vicky

    ReplyDelete